Monday, January 4, 2010

the beginning

I was recently skimming (re: to read novels in their entirety in a store while attempting to appear as if you have every intention of buying said novel. While you are smartly dressed and look as though you're made of moneyhoney, you're not; you are a student with a part-time, minimum wage job. You have much more important things to spend $20 on, like happy hour sushi and dirty martinis) a book on fashion and settled on a paragraph detailing how to buy ballet flats. The author suggested buying Chanel as a starting point. If I bought a pair of Chanel ballet flats, they had better be big enough for me to live in, and include utilities and internet. She also suggested buying duplicates of items that you really liked. I have a hard enough time buying one of an item I really like, let alone multiples.

My point in starting this blog is to show that you can be a college student working a minimum wage job and still put together rockin outfits; I'm going to show you how I do it.

Throughout the week, I will post photos of my outfits, citing the brand and price, as well as where I bought it. I will offer suggestions on different ways you can wear the same outfits, and how not to wear it.

This advice should be taken loosely: I don't believe in following the fashion Do's and Don't's of others; those rules should be established by you, for yourself. People have often told me that they love what I'm wearing but that they "could never pull it off." Well, with that attitude, they're right. So much of what brings an outfit together is confidence in what you're wearing. You (hopefully) know what you're comfortable in; I'm the first to advocate trying something new, but not to the point where it makes you uncomfortable: when you feel good about what you're wearing, you look good. The inverse is just as true.

My hope is that you, my one reader, will feel inspired.

...At the very least, I will have a collection of photos of my clothes, which could prove useful when I have to auction off my entire wardrobe (a la Becky Bloomwood) upon graduation, when I am unemployed and cannot feed myself.

Just kidding. Kind of.

1 comment: