Sunday, January 10, 2010

the default outfit



If you've been on a first date with me, invited me to your housewarming party, had me over for Thanksgiving dinner or worked with me on a Monday, you've seen this outfit. It's what I wear when I'm utterly exasperated from trying to find the outfit that's just right, but don't want to look like I've admitted defeat.

NOTE: This is NOT the outfit that I wear when I don't care what I wear, (but it almost is: for that outfit, I merely replace the sweater with a white AA deep-v tee.) It IS an outfit that convinces me I am a badass (hello, leather!), and could probably ride a motorcycle. Or at least sit on one and look like I ride it. It's casually masculine and I think that's what makes it kinda sexy. That and the full-length zipper highlights my best (possibly only) feature: my bum (not pictured.)

Clearly, I'm one of those dreaded people who equates leggings with pants.

Because the bomber has a very prevalent collar, I try to pull my hair back when wearing it- especially if I've paired it with a scarf. This also brings attention to the detail on the back of the sweater (without which I wouldn't have bought it- too boring.)


The jacket was a gift and wouldn't be in my possession otherwise, simply because I wouldn't have been able to afford it. B.P. (remember this place?!) has some pleather alternatives for less than $100 right now that feature a similar asymmetrical style, plus they don't have that cheap, obviously pleather look.

I think that leather on leather is overwhelming, making nylon bags a great contrast option. I would have included a Longchamp bag in this photo, but I don't have one. I am, however, currently accepting donations. (A friend of mine bought hers on eBay and saved about 40%, which I think is a great idea; you can't tell, and they NEVER go on sale.)


This is a minimalist outfit, which is part of why it's so great, but also why most accessories don't work well. If I want more glam, I opt for red lipstick or sparkly Chanel earrings, which also give the look some femininity.

Leather Bomber: $250 (orig. 600), William Rast, Nordstrom Rack
Sweater: $50 (240), BCBG, NR
Riding Boots: $120 (200), Steven, Nordstrom

No comments:

Post a Comment