Monday, January 4, 2010

i feel like crap...


But that's no reason to look like crap. The only reason I was able to get out of bed today was because I had an outfit of blankets (& a pillow in my bag) planned for my first day back to school and work after a 2+ week hiatus. While you and I know that a long, thermal cardigan paired with a t-shirt and leggings is the sneaky equivalent of a pair of sweats, others may not. And why would they? It looks perfectly put together. (Well, except for the flash-induced see-thru-ness of my shirt).

I'm sick of living in my knee-length bulky winter coat, so I opted for a wool cape coat, which, when layered, is pretty toasty. It's one size fits all, and I think all that extra material adds a little bit of luxury.

Because of the coat's sleeves, over-the-shoulder flat bags don't work very well. Bulky bags with shorter or rolled handles work best since you can drape them over your forearm, or just hold the handles. If that's too big, you can wear a mini cross-body purse over the cardigan but under the coat, or carry a clutch.

As far as this outfit goes, lots of shoes would work- even street sneakers (ie Asics or Sauconies). I wore boots with it today, but also included a photo with smartwool socks and ballet flats (I think they're unexpected and charming but my roomate gave this pair a thumbs-down; agree to disagree),which would make this an excellent outfit for flying, what with shoe removal and airplanes always being too cold or too hot.

It's easy to find mediocre boots. They're everywhere. Good boots that you genuinely love are hard to find, so when you do, I suggest you buy them. I've had this pair for 3 years and have all but worn them into the ground.


Headband: $18 (sale), Free People, FP
Scarf: $12 (sale), Free People, London
T-shirt: $39, J. Crew
Cardigan: $27, Splendid, Nordstrom Rack
Cape Coat: $70, Jones New York Signature, Nordstrom Rack
Boots: $170, Aldo
Metallic Flats: $10, Berlin (H&M has some that are very similar)
Bag: $300 (gift :)), Cole Haan, Cole Haan Outlet
Socks: $9, Smart wool boot, Nordstrom Rack

1 comment:

  1. You are a good writer, even though you chose a boring topic. You should write about sex! That's more fun.

    ReplyDelete