Sunday, January 17, 2010

pink nostalgia


I don't understand why anyone would waste such a pretty fabric on such a boring silhouette, but I do understand why there are about 150 of these still at H & M. After pinching the top center of the dress down while in the fitting room this past Thursday, I decided it wouldn't be that difficult to do a little improving.

In my attempt to create more of a sweetheart bust, I cut the straps off and used a safety pin to tuck in the top center. (It really wouldn't be difficult to hand-stitch this section together). The material is reminiscent of swishy '50s prom dresses, and I think the new neckline really enhances that vintage appeal, even if the length clearly says otherwise.

In one photo I'm wearing black pumps to complement the bit of ruffled bra showing, but otherwise I think a fur coat and vintage-inspired shoes would look great; with dresses this short, I'm always cautious (as in I don't wear them) when it comes to stilettos.

Dress: $15! (40), H & M
Bra: $10, Oscar de la Renta, Ross

3 comments:

  1. Thanks :)I'm not actually smiling though; I'm laughing, which you may have been able to guess since my eyeballs are somewhat visible for once.

    ReplyDelete